Saturday, May 9, 2009

homegrown SPACE

Yesterday was a hot day. The trees at home were parched. People were seeking refuge in malls where air conditioning was free. I was neither home nor at the mall yesterday. I was at a HOT location yesterday witnessing the opening of Homegrown SPACE, a space dedicated to local talents to showcase their passion.

Be it singing, dancing, reciting poetry or flaunting fashion, Homegrown SPACE is for all you talented individuals. And because it is dedicated towards helping the new talents, there is no charge at all.

The launch saw Izham Omar, CEO of 8TV and an advocate for local talent joining Michael Simon, the MD of Homegrown and a visionary, to officially introduce the space to the media and friends of Homegrown.

Ok, call me a skeptic or whatever... but let the truth be told, I was no advocate for local talent. What is 'Love Me Butch' or 'They Will Kill Us All' ? And 'One Buck Short' or 'Furniture' ? Or rather who are they?

As of 4pm, yesterday, I was totally converted. After checking out the Beat Box act with this little, unassuming guy called Jin Hackman doing his rap number, my perception that all foreign acts are superior was questionable. The scale continued to tip when Bo, this guy with crazy hair sang his own composition only with the most sultry and soulful voice I have heard live for some time already. Then this Reza Salleh guy confirmed that their acts will now join the ranks of John Legend and Jason Mraz on many playlist, most definitely mine.

Trust me when I say even the very JADED media who attended the event yesterday was blown away.

So let me say here, whether they are called LapSap or Meet Uncle Hussien, they are all PRETTY DAMN GOOD! and quite original with their name pickings.

No comments: